当前位置:首页 -英语作文 - 关于人物的英语作文 - 正文*

Idiomatic Expressions in Conversations (7)|英语会话惯用语

in that case既然如此
A: What would you like, sir?
   先生,你要点什么?
B: I would like to have lobster.
   我要龙虾。
A: I'm sorry, sir. We've run out of lobster.
   对不起,先生,龙虾已卖完了。
B: In that case, give me fried shrimps.
   既然如此,给我一盘炸虾好了。

in the first place首先……
A: Why didn't he go to the Post Office?
   他为什么不去邮局呢?
B: In the first place, he didn't know where the Post Office was. In the second place, he was too shy to ask directions.
首先,他不知邮局在哪儿。其次,他胆小得不敢问路。

is that so (=really)? 真的吗? 
A: I quitted that job, because I don't like it.
   我辞职不干了,因为我不喜欢那份工作。
B: Is that so? Are you sure you were not fired?
   真的吗?你确信你不是被解雇的吧?(讽刺)

it depends依情形而定
A: Would  you  like  to work for us on a full-time basis?
你愿意在我们公司干全职吗?
B: Well, it depends on the salary.
   嗯,要看薪水而定了。

it doesn't work行不通;不见效
A:Did you tell your wife you worked over-time last night?
你是否告诉太太,你昨晚加班了?
B: Yes,  but   it  didn't work. She knew I was lying.
说啦!但行不通,她知道我在说谎。

it happens也许意料不到,但发生了
A: I can't believe he fell off the wall.
   我不敢相信他从墙上掉下来了。
B: It happens.
   但发生了。

it's a deal一言为定
A: I'll fix your radio this evening, but you have to help me do my homework tomorrow.
今晚我帮你修理收音机,但明天你要帮我做功课。
B: It's a deal.
   一言为定。

it's a long story说来话长
A: How did you get fired?
   你怎么会被开除呢?
B: Well, it's a long story.
   唉,说来话长。

it's a shame (=what a shame)真可惜
A: We really had a ball last night.
   昨晚我们玩得真开心。
B: It's a shame I couldn't come.
   真可惜我不能来。

it's about time是时候了
A: Shall we say goodbye to the host?
   我们要向主人说再见吗?
B: Yeah, it's about time.
   是啊!是时候了。

it's in God's hands听天由命
A: I think that' s all we can do.
  我想我们已经尽了全力。
B: Yeah. We've done everything we can do to save him. Now, it's in God's hands.
是的,我们已尽了一切努力挽救他。现在只能听天由命了。

it's just a matter of time或迟或早而已
A: I  know it will happen. It's just a matter of time.
我知道会发生的,只是迟早的事。
B: No  one  can  stop  him. It's what he wants.
没有人能制止他。这是他自己想要的。

it's none of your business不关你的事
A: Is there anything I can help?
   我可以帮忙吗?
B: It's none of your business. Butt out.
   不关你的事,滚开。

it's not my day我今天真倒霉
A: Why were you late this morning?
   今早为什么迟到呢?
B: I  missed my bus this morning. Then I lost my purse somewhere, and then I had a quarrel with Peter. Jesus, it's just not my day.
我今早先是赶不上巴士,然后我不知在哪里丢了皮包,后来又与彼得吵架。老天,我今天真倒霉。

it's now or never要不就现在,要不就算了
A: Do you want to marry me?
   你愿意嫁我吗?
B: Let me think, I'll tell you later.
   让我考虑一下。我迟些告诉你。
A: No, it's now or never.
   不。现在告诉我,否则就算了。

it's all over一切都成为过去
A: Tell me about your love story.
   告诉我你的爱情故事。
B: It's all over. I don't want to talk about it any more.
一切已成过去,我不愿再谈起。

it's on paper(纸上谈兵)还早呢!
A: How  is your plan for the new fashion shop coming along?
你们新时装店的计划进展如何?
B: It's all still on paper.
仍然是纸上谈兵,还早呢!

it's up to you (=It rests with you to decide) 需要你来决定
A: How is the progress?
   进度如何?
B: We've already picked some colours. It's up to you to decide which one to use.
我们已选了几种颜色,由你决定用哪一种。

it means nothing to me我一点也不在意
A: Mary says she hates you.
   玛莉说她恨你。
B: It means nothing to me.
   我才不在乎呢!

it sounds all right to me听起来并无不妥之处
A: Let's  split  it all fifty-fifty; how about that?
我们对半分如何?
B: It sounds all right to me.
好啊!