当前位置:首页 -英语作文 - 关于人物的英语作文 - 正文*

Idiomatic Expressions in Conversation(2)

   

behave yourself     讲点规矩           
  A: Ah! That's what I want.
     呀!这正是我想要的。
  B: Hey, behave yourself or leave my house at once.
     嘿,讲点规矩,否则马上离开我家。

better late than never  迟做总比不做好    
  A: I'll study hard from now on. I know I should have done it a long time ago.
     从今以后我会用功读书,我早该用功了。
  B: Well, better late than never.
     唔,迟做总比不做好(亡羊补牢犹未晚)。

better than nothing 有胜于无           
  A: You're going to have a raise this month, aren't you?
     你这个月要加薪了,不是吗?
  B: Yes, only $100.
     是的,只加了100元。
  A: Well, better than nothing.
     有胜于无啊!(有总比没有好)

beyond my control 无法控制            
  A: Would you ask them to be quiet?
     你能不能叫他们安静一些?
  B: Sorry, they're beyond my control.
     对不起,我无法控制他们。

blow your head off 砸碎你的头          
  A: What's wrong with him?
     他怎么了?
  B: Leave him alone. He’ll blow your head off.
     不要理他,他会砸碎你的头。

bottom line        底价(本钱)        
  A: How is the business?
     生意怎么样了?
  B: $3000 is the bottom line. After that, it's all profit.
     3000元是本钱,剩下的全是纯利。
buy someone a     请客
?穴drink; meal; dinner?雪A: Do you have a minute?
     有空吗?
  B: Yes, why?
     有,怎么啦?
  A: Let me buy you a drink.
     我请你喝一杯。               

buy low, sell high  贱买贵卖           
  A: How can he make that much money within a year?
     他怎么可能在一年内赚那么多钱呢?
  B: Buy low, sell high, you know.
     你知道吗?贱买贵卖。

can't you read      你难道不识字吗?  
  A: Knock before you enter. Can't you read?
     进来先敲门,你不识字吗?
  B: I'm sorry. I didn't see the board.
     对不起,我没有看见指示牌。

certainly not       当然不             
  A: Jane, will you go out with me tonight?
     简,今晚可否与我外出?
  B: Certainly not.
     当然不行。

cheer up           打起精神;振作起来      
  A: I failed in the driving test again.
     我驾驶考试又不及格。
  B: Cheer up! Don't be so upset.
     振作点!别那么沮丧。

no class            格调低(品位低)               
  A: Don't ask John to join us.
     不要叫约翰加入。
  B: Why not? He's quite interesting.
     为什么不要?他颇为风趣。
  A: I don't like him, he has no class.
     我不喜欢他,他格调太低了。

clear so far         听懂了吗?          
  A: Clear so far? If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    听懂了吗?如果有任何问题,赶紧问。
  B: Sure we do.
     我们当然懂了。

come in handy     派上用场            
  A: Why are you buying all those junks?
     你干吗买那些废物?
  B: Maybe someday they'll come in handy.
     也许有一天会派上用场的。

could be           有此可能             
  A: Do you think Andrew will be our new chairman?
     你认为安德鲁会成为我们的新主席吗?
  B: Could be.
     有此可能。

?穴of ?雪 course not    当然不(加重语气用)
  A: Are you deaf?
     你聋了吗?
  B: ?穴Of?雪 Course not!
     当然没有!

cross someone      激怒;使……生气   
  A: Don't cross John.
     不要激怒约翰。
  B: Why do you say that?
     为什么这样说?
  A: He knows Chinese Kung-fu.
     他会中国功夫。

cut class            逃学
?穴play hooky; skip class?雪 A: Why was I failed in this course?
      这门课我为什么不及格呢?
   B: You've been cutting class too often.
      你逃学太多了。              

cut it short?穴=be brief?雪长话短说            
  A: Could you give me a minute?
     可否给我一分钟时间?
  B: I'm in a hurry. Please cut it short.
     我很忙,请长话短说。
day off             休假                 
  A: Why are you home today?
     今天为什么在家?
  B: This is my day off.
     今天我休假。

deserve it          罪有应得;活该      
  A: David got kicked out of school, because he cheated in the test.
     大卫因考试作弊而被学校开除了。
  B: The only thing I can say is that he deserved it.
     我惟一能说的就是他活该。

did I say sth. wrong  我是否说错了什么 
  A: Why are you mad with me?
     你为什么生我的气?
  B: Nothing.
     没有啊。
  A: Did I say something wrong?
     我是否说错了什么?

do all the talking   出面负责交涉       
  A: You should not accept these terms.
     你不应接受这些条件。
  B: Why didn't you go and do all the talking?
     你何不出面负责交涉一切?

do as I say         照我的话去做       
  A: I don't want to ...
     我不想……
  B: Shut up, and do as I say.
     住嘴,照我的话去做。

do you have the time请问几点            
  A: Excuse me, sir, do you have the time?
     先生,对不起,请问几点?
  B: Oh, yes. It is 3:30.
     哦,现在是三点半。

don't be hasty      别急;别催           
  A: I'm thinking of asking Jane to marry me.
     我想向简求婚。
  B: Don't be hasty. You've only known her for a month.
     别急,你认识她才一个月。

don't be silly       别傻了;别太客气了
  A: Thanks for everything.
     一切谢谢了。
  B: Don't be silly.
     别太客气。

don't be so sure    别太自信         
  A: Jane is going to the party with me.
     简会跟我去参加舞会。
  B: Don't be so sure.
     别太自信了。

don't bother        不必麻烦了
?穴=never mind?雪        A: Let me get you something to drink.
     让我帮你拿点喝的。
  B: Don't bother, I'll be going soon.
     不必麻烦了,我马上就走。          
 
don't get me wrong别误会我的意思 
  A: Forget what I've said.
     就当我没说过好了。
  B: Hey, don't get me wrong, I didn't mean I don't want to go with you.
     嗨,别误会,我可不是说我不想跟你去。

don't get smart with me少在我面前耍花样 
   A: I did it because I...
      我这样做因为我……
   B: Hey, tell me the truth. And don't get smart with me.
      嘿,告诉我实情,少在我面前耍花样。

don't mention it    不必再提了;不必挂在心上
   A: Thanks for your help, John.
      约翰,多谢你的帮忙。
   B: Don't mention it.
      不必挂在心上。

don't sweat it      不要紧张            
  A: The car broke down and the repair shop is  ten miles away.
     车子坏了,修车厂又在十英里以外。
  B: Don't sweat it, maybe we can fix it.
     不要紧张,也许我们可以修好它。

don't take it bad   别太难过;别想太多
  A: All my money was stolen yesterday. I will die if my loan doesn't come through.
     昨天我的钱全被偷了。如果我的贷款不还清,我就完蛋了。
  B: Hey, don't take it bad.
     嘿,别想太多了。

don't you dare     你敢(表示“不可以”……)
  A: Don't you dare say it to me.
     你敢对我说这些话。
  B: I'm sorry. I didn't mean it.
     对不起,我不是故意的。

double talk         花言巧语            
  A: John has promised to do it for me.
     约翰答应替我做这件事的。
  B: Don't believe a word of what he says. It's all double talk.
     半句也不要信他的,全是花言巧语。

drop someone a line写信                 
   A: Drop me a line when you get there, will you?
      到了那里,给我写封信好吗?
   B: Trust me. I will.
      信我吧。我会的。